Do you want to help someone else quit smoking?
- You may be able to help them but you can’t do it for them. You know the old cliché “you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make them drink.” It’s very applicable analogy for a smoker because they have to want to quit themselves.
- People can rarely be pressured or embarrassed into quitting. When they are ready to quit, offer your full support and encouragement.
- Keep them as your friend first and think of them as a smoker second.
- When they do try to quit, be sensitive to their mood swings and withdrawal problems, they are temporary.
- If they have a relapse, don’t scold or lecture or make them feel guilty.
- Be positive, don’t cause additional stress or expect your friend to be able to just quit, it’s not that easy.
- Don’t preach or lecture about the health hazards of smoking, every smoker has already heard and read them all before. Many times in fact.
- Don’t use embarrassing tactics or use put-downs. It will only backfire and you could do permanent damage to your relationship.
- Don’t give ultimatums like – you better quit by so and so or else, blah, blah, blah and don’t use guilt trip tactics. Don’t nag either.
- Never say quitting is easy or make fun of them, offer support, not blame.
- Remember smoking is a powerful physical and mental addiction. Change does not happen overnight.
- For many people, quitting smoking will be one of the hardest things they ever do. Others may find it easy.
- People smoke for many reasons, for some it seems to help them relax or concentrate or cope. Many people have no idea why they smoke.
- Some people claim to enjoy smoking but they probably really don’t. What causes that feeling is simply the power of the nicotine because it can give a little buzz, especially the first smoke of the day or after a meal.
- Most smokers try several times and different ways to quit smoking.
- If you are a smoker don’t ever offer your friend a cigarette to test or tempt them. You are actually giving them an excuse to smoke again!
oneSTOP newYOU rightNOW